Pork Vindaloo Stew
This is the best Indian food I have ever prepared. The seasonings are balanced and defined. Definitely not a hot mess. Nope. Not scary at all. Fancy a pre-dinner cocktail? Try a Mumbai Mule.
The Stuff You Need:
This recipe serves 4 people:
4 & 1/2 teaspoons ground Coriander
2 & 1/4 teaspoons ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground Cardamon
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
1 teaspoon ground Ginger*
1/2 to 2 teaspoons Chili powder, to taste
1 teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons + 1/2 cup White Vinegar, divided
2 Pounds Pork, cut into stew cubes
4 small Bay leaves
3 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
A few Tablespoons of My Blue Kitchen’s Ancho Oil – or – Vegetable oil
2 Teaspoons Mustard seed, toasted**
4 Cups Chicken stock
2 Cups Basmati Rice
Optional: Chickpea Flatbread
How To Do This:
- Mix all the dry seasonings together in a small bowl. Grate ginger if using fresh into the seasoning mix.
- Put the seasonings in a large plastic bag, then add 2 Tablespoons white vinegar, 2 Tablespoons water. Add the pork and coat evenly with the seasonings. Add the Bay leaves and 1/2 cup white vinegar, close bag and allow to marinate for at least one half hour.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet and gently fry the garlic. Add mustard seed, if using, and fry until they jump.
- Drain the pork and add to the pot.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until pork is tender, at least one hour, but better after two.
- Prepare Basmati rice and serve the stew over the rice.
*Ginger – 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger can be substituted.
**Mustard seed – Skip this if you don’t have whole mustard seed on hand.
I make this stew in half batches for just the two of us, but I also make a full batch of the seasoning mix and freeze half of that for another time.
The featured image is garnished with fresh tomato and shaved radish.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)