A très chic classic that indulges my fantasy of moving to France. Feeling hoity-toity? Want to show off to your friends? But of course! I’ve got you covered, Mon Ami.
The Stuff You Need:
For 4 servings:
1 Pound Red-skinned Potatoes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
10 Ounces thin Green Beans, trimmed
4 large Eggs, hard-boiled
8 Cherry Tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 Head Boston Lettuce, leaves separated
Two 5.5 ounce cans fine quality Tuna, packed in olive oil, drained
1/2 Cup Nicoise Olives*
How To Do This:
- Place sliced potatoes in a pot, cover with cold water and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until fork tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Bring another pot of water to a boil, add the green beans and cook for 2 to 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to bowl filled with ice water. When cool, drain and pat dry.
- Place eggs in the pot you cooked the potatoes in, cover with water plus 1 inch. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover and remove from heat. Let stand 10 to 12 minutes, then run under cold water to cool. Peel under cold water.
- Toss tomatoes in small bowl with salt & pepper. Add 1/4 cup vinaigrette to potatoes and toss to coat. Quarter the hard-cooked eggs.
- Divide lettuce among the 4 plates. Arrange the potatoes, green beans, eggs, tomatoes and tuna on top. Drizzle on the dressing and garnish with olives. Bon Appetit!
*Nicoise Olives – Regular Black Olives or Kalamata Olives are fine too.
Here’s a version of Nicoise salad with fried calamari instead of tuna. It was very delicious.
There are a ton of variations on this salad that have sparked a lot of controversy among the purists. Check out this article, Salade Nicoise , for the whole story and examples of how creative chefs have elevated this classic dish.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)