Quinoa Salad & Grilled Chicken
Here’s a quick, easy weeknight meal that satisfies with flavorful lean protein and extra fiber. Quinoa is the perfect blank slate to start with because it already contains protein, so you could skip the chicken entirely, if you wish. Experiment with different colors of quinoa and different vegetable combinations. To be honest, this was the first time I ever cooked quinoa, but it won’t be the last. This salad can be served warm or cold.
The Stuff You Need:
For two people:
1 large or 2 small chicken breast(s)
1 Cup Quinoa
1 & 3/4 Cups Vegetable Broth* or Water
1/2 Cup cooked Corn
1/2 Cup cooked Black Beans
2 or 3 Tablespoons chopped Red Bell Pepper
2 Scallions, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Cilantro
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cumin powder
1 squeeze Lime juice
1 pinch Lime Zest
Salt & Pepper, to taste (I used Cayenne Pepper)
Optional: My Blue Kitchen Ancho Oil – Season the chicken prior to cooking and drizzle a little over the corn salad.
How To Do This:
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towel. Season with salt & pepper and set aside.
- Combine quinoa and vegetable broth in a pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine the corn, black beans, bell pepper, scallion, lime juice and zest, garlic, chili, cumin and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Grill or saute the chicken.
- Combine quinoa with the corn mix and spoon onto plates. Arrange slices of cooked chicken on top. Garnish with more scallion.
*Vegetable Broth – BOU brand bouillon cubes are gluten free.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)