Pico de Gallo
If you’ve never tried Pico de Gallo, you should. It’s made with many of the same ingredients as salsa, but, Pico de Gallo is made with fresh, raw vegetables and is never cooked. Imagine all kinds of colors and textures just bursting with flavor. We are having tacos tonight and I prefer to serve Pico de Gallo instead of salsa or taco sauce. Make your Pico a few hours before dinner time so the flavors have time to mingle. Enjoy.
The Stuff You Need:
4 ripe Roma Tomatoes
1/2 small yellow Bell Pepper
1 small Jalapeno Pepper
1 Tablespoon finely chopped Red Onion
2 Scallions, sliced very thin
1 teaspoon chopped fresh Cilantro
2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil (try My Blue Kitchen Ancho oil for an extra boost of flavor)
1 teaspoon Cider Vinegar
1 big pinch Kosher Salt
a few grinds of fresh Black Pepper
How To Do This:
- Core and finely dice the tomatoes.
- Finely dice the bell peppers and add to the tomatoes in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Slice the jalapeno in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and pith with a small spoon. (Unless you like it HOT, then toss that stuff into the mix as well. I’m a weenie when it comes to spicy food and prefer to taste all the ingredients instead of just heat).
- Add the remaining ingredients and taste. Increase amounts as desired.
- Cover and place the bowl in the fridge. Stir or shake periodically.
Pico de Gallo does not last long in the fridge so if you only need a small amount, feel free to halve the recipe. However, former roommates have been known to sneak to the kitchen and devour the remaining Pico with a spoon. Yeah, it’s that good.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17) Tomato Oil (13)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Tomato Oil (13) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)