I freakin love onion rings and I bet you do too. These are tasty and super easy. You can make them with regular flour or gluten free.
The Stuff You Need:
For two people:
1 large Vidalia Onion
1 cup Buttermilk*
All Purpose Flour, for dredging (or Rice Flour for gluten free)
For the batter:
1 & 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour (or gluten free flour mix)
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Milk
Vegetable Oil, for frying
How To Do This:
- Slice the onion(s) in 1/2″ thick slices and separate the rings.
- Place the onion rings in a Ziploc bag, pour the buttermilk over them, seal and place in the fridge. Let soak for at least 1 hour, turning the bag frequently so that all the onion rings get to soak a bit.
- Drain the onion rings, shake off excess buttermilk and lightly dredge in flour.
- Measure out the flour for the batter. Add the baking powder and salt to the flour. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and egg. Combine the dry and wet batter ingredients right before you are ready to fry the onion rings.**
- Heat oil in a skillet or electric fryer to 350 to 375 degrees.
- Dip rings in batter, then float in hot oil. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on a rack, season with salt and serve. May be kept in low oven for a few minutes before serving.
*Don’t have buttermilk on hand? Yeah, me neither. Just put 1 teaspoon of vinegar in the bottom of a 1-cup measuring cup and top it off with whole milk. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and now you have a buttermilk substitute. You’re welcome.
**Baking powder is activated as soon as it is introduced to liquid, so, for a light and crispy batter, you want to wait until right before you are ready to fry your onion rings.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)