Grilled Italian Sandwiches
This is one freakin’ good sandwich. It’s sure to charm the pants off your dinner date or at least get you out of the doghouse. All these Italian flavors play very nicely together. Perhaps I should call this sandwich “The Peacemaker.”
The Stuff You Need:
For each sandwich:
2 slices gluten free bread, brushed with garlic oil (1/2 clove Garlic, minced and mixed with 3 TBS Olive Oil)
2 slices smoked ham
2 slices Soppressata salami
2 slices Provolone cheese
Red Onion, sliced thinly
Banana Peppers, sliced into 1/4″ rings
For each side salad:
2 leaves Romaine lettuce, rough cut
1/4 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
1 extra large Black Olive, sliced into 1/4″ rings
garnish: sprig of fresh Basil, grated Parmesan cheese and dressing of your choice*
How To Do This:
- Prepare your garlic oil, then zap it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Brush all sides of the sliced bread with the garlic oil.
- Prepare your side salads and set aside.
- Preheat a skillet on medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, place up to 2 stacks of bread, 2 slices high, and toast both sides.
- When both outer sides of the bread have been toasted, carefully remove the stacks to a large cutting board, arranging slices toasted side up.
- Spread mayo on one toasted side and Dijon on the other toasted side. Arrange sliced red onion on the mayo side.
- Place the ham, salami and cheese on top of the onions. Place the banana peppers on the Dijon side and carefully close the sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches back in the hot skillet. You might need to turn the heat down to medium to prevent burning and give the cheese time to melt.
- When both sides have been toasted, remove from skillet, slice in half and serve with the side salads.
*Dressing – I recommend a vinaigrette. We used a basil oil and tarragon vinaigrette.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)