Planning a dinner party? Or maybe you just feel like celebrating. More for you that way, right? Crab cakes are remarkably easy and the end result is classic elegance, packed with flavor. Enjoy!
The Stuff You Need:
1/3 cup Red Onion, finely minced
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
1 Egg yolk – for the crab mix
2 Eggs, slightly beaten – for the egg wash
1 teaspoon Lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon dry Mustard
1/4 teaspoon dry Dill – or – 1/2 teaspoon fresh Dill, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dry Parsley – or 1/2 teaspoon fresh Parsley, chopped
8 ounces Crab meat, picked and drained
3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs* (You might need more than this for breading)
All Purpose or gluten free flour, for dredging
Vegetable oil for frying (Try My Blue Kitchen lemon flavored oil for an extra boost of flavor. It’s suitable for cooking or garnishing the plate)
How To Do This:
- Combine onion, mayo, and egg yolk in a mixing bowl. Add seasonings and mix well to combine.
- Gently fold in the crab meat and only about 1/4 cup of the Panko. Place bowl in the fridge to chill for about 10 minutes.
- Shape the crab mixture into cakes. You can make 4 large ones, or 6 to 8 smaller ones. Rest the cakes on a sheet of wax paper.**
- Lightly dredge the crab cakes in flour, resting them on wax paper as you go.
- Pour vegetable oil, about 1/8″ deep, into the bottom of a small to medium sized fry pan and bring to 350 degrees on medium heat.
- One by one, dip the crab cakes in beaten egg and then roll them in the Panko. Rest on a rack or wax paper.
- Fry cakes in oil in small batches until golden brown on each side. Rest on rack. Best served immediately, but can be held in a low oven for a little while.
*For gluten free, use gluten free bread crumbs, or, try crushed Rice Chex, which closely resembles Panko.
**At this point, you can freeze the crab cakes in single layers, separated by wax paper. Bread them when nearly thawed and fry gently to keep the breading from falling off.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)