Most of the time, there is home made chicken stock available in our kitchen. We use it to make gravy and pan sauces, to amp up rice dishes and casseroles, and for soup, of course. There’s been a lot of hype about the health benefits of bone broth. What we are making today is the same thing, if not better, at a fraction of the cost. Cheap and easy. I like that.
The Stuff You Need:
Leftover bones, skin and grease from 1 Good Old Fashioned Roast Chicken
1 pot big enough to put the bones in
Mirepoix: Onion (1), Carrot (2), Celery (1 stalk), all rough chop
Water, enough to cover the bones
How To Do This:
- Dump the chicken bones, skin, mirepoix and roasting pan grease into your big pot.
- Fill the pot with water, enough to cover the bones.
- Set the pot on the stove on high heat.
- Once the water has reached a boil, turn down the heat and simmer for several hours.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Fish out the larger bones and skin with tongs or a slotted spoon.
- Strain the stock through a wire mesh sieve into another pot or large container. Discard the bones.
- Refrigerate stock until grease congeals on the top. Skim off the grease and discard.
- At this point you can freeze what you won’t use in the next week.*
*I have a silicon muffin pan that is perfect for this. I put the silicon one on top of a metal one for stability. Ladle in the broth and pop it into the freezer. When frozen, pop them out of the silicon and put them in a Ziploc bag. Now you have easy to use portions of stock, ready whenever you need it.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)