You can make polenta yourself. You don’t have to buy it ready made and you don’t have to buy anything fancy or expensive. It’s just good old fashioned yellow corn meal. That’s it. It’s versatile too. You can serve it plain, with a gravy or sauce, or you can add cheese.
Chill it, slice it, and lightly fry it, and you have another side dish with a completely different texture. Pretty cool, right?
Now, as easy as this is, even I Effed it up one time. Sorry, Mom. I confess that alcohol was involved because I cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food. But, have no fear, I have re-written this so it is absolutely fool-proof.
The Stuff You Need:
For 3 to 4 people
1 Cup Cold Water
1 Cup Corn Meal
1 teaspoon Salt
2 & 1/2 Cups Boiling Water
Optional Cheese: 1/4 to 1/3 Cup grated Cheddar or Parmesan
How To Do This:
- Mix 1 cup Corn Meal with 1 cup Cold Water in a bowl and set it aside for a little while.
- Put salt and 2 & 1/2 cups of water into a saucepan with a lid.
- Place the saucepan on high heat and bring the salted water to a boil.
- Now, get your bowl with the cornmeal and water mixture and slowly stir that into the boiling water.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add cheese now, if using, then cover the pan and allow to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately – or – Pour into a greased* baking pan and chill for 3 to 4 hours.
- After chilling, take it out of the pan or plastic wrap and slice into desired shapes.
- Fry in oil over medium heat until golden.
*Line the pan with parchment paper, wax paper, or foil for even easier removal later on. If you allow the mixture to cool enough to be handled, you can roll it into a log, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill some more. Then you can slice off circles instead of sticks or squares. It all depends on how energetic and creative you feel.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)