Baked Acorn Squash
Here’s a great way to bring some pizzazz to an otherwise ordinary squash. I used to just halve it and bake it with butter and season it with ginger or garlic. Then I’d scrape volcanic squash out of the still piping hot skin, swearing under my breath, and plop the whole hot mess into a serving bowl. It did taste good prepared the old way, but this method is stupid easy and the wow factor is right up to 11 (Thank you, Spinal Tap). The flavors and textures are spot on and you can actually eat the skin. Prepare to be blown away.
The Stuff You Need:
Serves 6 to 8 people
1 Acorn Squash, medium to large – or – 2 smallish ones
2 cloves of garlic, minced
8 leaves of fresh sage, minced; or ½ tsp dried sage
Zest of one lemon
3 TBS olive oil (Try My Blue Kitchen flavored cooking oils in lemon, basil, tomato or Ancho pepper for an extra boost of flavor)
½ Cup parmesan cheese, grated
3 TBS bread crumbs (feel free to use gluten free)
Kosher salt, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste
How To Do This:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash the skin of the acorn squash. Slice in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds from both halves. Slice the squash into inch thick, crescent shaped wedges, kind of like a crescent moon.
- Wash the lemon skin and remove the zest over a large bowl.
- Add the garlic, sage, and olive oil to the lemon zest in the bowl and set aside.
- Right before you are ready to bake the squash; add the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and squash to the mixture in the large bowl and toss to coat.*
- Arrange the coated squash wedges on a baking sheet in a single layer. Pat on any remaining breading mixture. Sprinkle all the squash with salt and red pepper flake.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
*I do this step last so the bread crumbs won’t get soggy.
Be Inspired By, Explore, or Scroll Past My Other Recipes
Culinary Oils Uses and RecipesAncho Oil (16) Basil Oil (10) Lemon Oil (17)
All My Recipe CategoriesAncho Oil (16) Appetizers (9) Basil Oil (10) Beef & Lamb (7) Beverages (9) Breads (10) Brunch (0) Culinary Oils (0) Desserts (2) Dressings & Sauces (14) Leftovers (5) Lemon Oil (17) Marrakesh Oil (1) Pork (5) Potatoes (4) Poultry (10) Rice & Grains (1) Salads (12) Sandwiches (3) Seafood (8) Soups & Stews (6) Sweets (3) Uncategorized (0) Vegetables (4)